Friday 24 August 2012

First experience with cloth diapers



I never knew cloth diapers still existed, I always heard about it because my grandmother mentioned a few times. My mother used disposable diapers with my little brother and I never thought that one day I will cloth diaper my child.  My son was experiencing cow’s milk allergy, which displayed in many ways including eczema, painful blisters in his bottom and skin irritation to some fabrics such as wool.  I researched the Internet and came across a mother whose son experienced eczema and she mentioned that cloth diapers stopped her son’s irritation. Her approach was a little extreme, for me, so I only use what I thought it will work for my son. I then started to research more into it and decided to give cloth diapers a try.   I was a bit skeptical about them at first but it worked like magic, no more painful blisters on my son’s bottom! 

I started my stash with organic cotton pre-folds and some covers.  It turned out to be really easy and simple; I was so pleased I decided to buy a few more cloth diapers.  We now have a few all in one diapers, along with pre-folds, covers and hybrids. But I still want to try other styles such as the all in twos and fitted diapers for night time.   Since I started cloth diapering my son, my stash has grown just a little bit more and I still have not been able to try every single cloth diaper.  Getting the husband on board was easy as well; he had no problems with changing the soiled diapers.

What most people don’t know about cloth diapers is that it can be addicting. There are so many styles, brand names and different price ranges; it can become a little overwhelming at first, trying to choose a particular style, I just want to buy and try them all!   This much I know:  I will recommend any new mom to give cloth diapers a try by using a diapering service first, to give you a taste of what it would be like and then you decide if you like to continue.  If you live in the United States, Nature's Premiere Diaper Service, offers organic hemp which is great in terms of absorbency. If you live in the UK, then Nappy Ever After offers a laundry service with soft cotton nappies.  It can be pricey to start a stash at first but the savings in the long run can be rewarding, not only for your child but for the environment.  

No comments:

Post a Comment